The Keydets finished the season with a 5-5 record. The theater opened in 1917 as the Bluebird, and in 1933, it reopened as the Grand, specializing in grindhouse and B movies. A man was fatally shot in the4000 block of Midlothian Turnpike on Thursday night. Starting in the 1800s, the area near what is now Willow Oaks was occupied by a large number of granite quarries. The bridge was largely washed away in rains from the remnants of Hurricane Agnes in 1972, and now only the supports and a small portion on the island remain. In June 1955, Central National Bank opened an "auto branch" at Third and Marshall streets in downtown Richmond, a block from the main office. Authorities believe the gunmen were targeting a single apartment but ended up striking two adult women, two teenage girls and the 3-month-old girl. From left to right: 18-year-old Kevon Bynum, 18-year-old Kavon Bynum. It quickly became a center of extracurricular activities for area children. More than 4,000 spectators saw Bobby Hill of Columbus, Ohio, the nations top racer, ride bike No. The entire Broad Street renovation project stretched from Laurel to 12th streets. In addition to resurfacing the road after removing the streetcar tracks, a concrete center strip was added along with updated traffic signals, new street lights and walk-dont walk signals. A firearm was found in the belongings of a Holman Middle School student on Friday, police said. In June 1952, trucks loaded with wheat during the harvest season had a long wait including along the Mayo Bridge to reach the Cargill Inc. grain elevator at First and Hull streets in South Richmond. In December 1959, the Seventh Street parking garage in downtown Richmond was the largest of 54 properties, valued collectively at about $1.2 million, that were slated for condemnation by the city as part of plans to build a civic center. In January 1950, Bobby Seal (left), 15, and Marvin Kayo Williams, 14, played billiards on the new table at the Salvation Armys Red Shield Boys Club, which was on Church Hill in Richmond. 10047 Midlothian Turnpike, Suite 200. Property Type Office. Three others were injured, a 29-year-old woman and two young girls, ages 11 and 15. The following year, the church decided to move to River Road; the former building has since been torn down. On Wednesday, City of Richmond Police charged Donald Hemmings, 22, Shyheem Martin, 23, and Sha-Mondrick Perry, 19, with conspiracy to commit murder. With a firm belief of Safety-first and foremost, John works with each student individually to develop their knowledge of firearm safety and use. After standing for many years on a pedestal in front of Grays Armory at Seventh and Marshall, this one was destined to join its two mates at the city Works Department trash heap at the old fairgrounds, where those two had lain missing since World War II until being rediscovered in January 1952. This site now houses the 17th Street Farmers Market, but its history as a public gathering place and market dates to the 1700s. Earlier that month, the states nine parks welcomed more than 77,000 visitors during their unofficial opening week for the season. Watching the children (from left) were H.F. Taylor, Lions Club president; Joseph Rotella, school principal; and F.M. In November 1950, Richmond firefighters battled an early morning blaze at Monument Methodist Church, located at Allen and Park avenues. The program was organized by the city and sponsored by Thalhimers. Tactical Gun Shops in Midlothian on YP.com. He said the row of mailboxes was the longest on his route. RICHMOND, Va. -- One man was killed in a shooting on the Midlothian Turnpike on Thursday morning. The next year, it was turned over from the Glenwood Farms Civic Association to Henrico County. Please subscribe to keep reading. Here, Autry met 7-year-old J. Harvie Wilkinson III, now a judge on the 4th U.S. These boys soaked up the sun while fishing at Shields Lake in Richmond. South Richmonders had this view of a Dec. 24, 1951, fire on North Side at the F.L. The mailbox post was made using an old log cabin chain and required an hours worth of welding. The co-feature was the Richmond Plate race, a 2-mile course that Crown Royal led over the first jump before finishing third, eight lengths behind winner Flying Wing. Some drivers have collided with the ghostly vehicles, even hearing shattered glass and tearing metal. In 1942, it started using an old house at 4401 Forest Hill Ave. for all meetings outside regular services. In January 1958, traffic moved through the intersection of Grace and Belvidere streets in Richmond. Square dancing for all ages on the Byrd Park tennis courts was a highlight of the week. Officers arrived on scene and located two adult females, two teenagers, and one child suffering from gunshot wounds. In July 1952, Lovick Law, sergeant-at-arms for the House of Delegates, had his badges and flowers adjusted by majorettes while attending the Virginia Democratic Convention in Roanoke. The road was being widened for divided lane traffic in the block between Bevridge Road and Roxbury Road. According to the story, in about 1922, the 6-year-old son of a preacher-farmer in Powhatan County kept eating persimmons one day until he developed a stomachache and was brought to the hospital. In June 1950, Barbara Kilday (from left), Becky Branch and Jill Arnold set up a net for tennis. The vessel, which he used for cruises on the Rappahannock and Chesapeake Bay and for fishing trips, was part of the Richmond-based Flotilla 51, a Coast Guard auxiliary unit. It closed in 1972. The restaurant has over 40 flat screen high definition TVs, We have five booths with your own flat-screen TV in them so you can watch your favorite program. Date Updated Jan 07, 2022. Four days later, the Mosque was scheduled to host two shows by an emerging star, the day before his self-titled debut studio album was released. In May 1955, shoppers on Broad Street in downtown Richmond rushed to find bargains at the fourth annual Richmond Day. Newport News High School won the tournament. A woman inside the restaurant was injured in the incident, which happened just before 11:30 p.m. July 31 at 8241 Midlothian Turnpike. Richmond Police Department officers responded to the 600 . Mayor Stoney said this type of incident continues to happen in the city. Today, the lake is in on the grounds of Jefferson Lakeside Country Club. The trip, which featured a 21-gun salute upon her arrival at Patrick Henry Airport, included a visit to Williamsburg and the College of William and Mary. In September 1958, a yard full of bicycles made clear that classes were back in session at Westhampton School in Richmond. About 6:30 p.m., Richmond police responded to apartments in the 4000 block of Midlothian Turnpike, across the street from George Wythe High School, after receiving a report of a shooting. Here, Virginia's Jim Bakhtiar (feet in air) rolled into the end zone in the first quarter for the first of his four touchdowns. @NBC12 has crews at both. In addition to winning a trip to the Miss Virginia contest in Roanoke the next month, Allen received a silver bowl, a $200 scholarship, jewelry and cosmetics. pic.twitter.com/89jhx4mF7m. A predecessor festival was held in South Boston before World War II. I really appreciated the remoteness of the facility; even though it is located in the heart of Midlothian on Hull street road. The Oscars will air on ABC and can be streamed on ABC.com and the ABC app as well as Hulu + Live TV, YouTube TV, AT&T TV or FuboTV. In April 1950, the 1st Precinct police station at 17th and East Broad streets faced an uncertain future after the decision to consolidate it with the 2nd Precinct station on Marshall Street. Both vehicles went off the road to the . This July 1955 photo shows the view from Richmonds Chimborazo Hill at twilight, looking across Fulton and the James River. In November 1951, workers constructed a new lane on Monument Avenue in Henrico County. In March 1953, L. Howard Jenkins, head of a Richmond book manufacturer that bore his name, supervised workers at his plant on West Broad Street. Galeski wanted to improve the appearance and standardize the production of replacement eyes, which had been made of glass by skilled artisans. The James River reached flood stage, and while that was enough to cover docks, the rains finally relented. 13324 Midlothian Tpke, Midlothian, VA 23113. In September 1951, the area of Hull Street between 12th and 13 streets in South Richmond was dug up for utility work and street rebuilding. The store, built in 1917 in Madison County, also served as the communitys post office and telephone collection agent. In October 1958, a street-widening project continued along Patterson Avenue in Richmonds West End. The parade was first held in 1929 and, after a pause during World War II, resumed in 1946. The regulations were enacted because a surge in demand for goods after the start of the Korean War caused a rapid rise in prices. In January 1954, shoppers waited for buses in the snow on Broad Street in downtown Richmond. In October 1951, workers constructed a section of Forest Hill Avenue in South Richmond. This June 1950 image shows the former Westwood Circle in Richmond, a traffic circle at the intersection of North Boulevard, Hermitage Road and Westwood Avenue. Local public schoolchildren celebrated with egg hunts and early dismissal for the Easter festivities. The shooting on April 27 claimed the life of 30-year-old Sharnez Hill and her 3-month-old daughter Neziah Hill. Working to get more details for @CBS6 News at Noon. In the Civil War, the complex served the Confederacy. A story about area laboratories and scientists noted that medical concerns about smoking had spurred the tobacco industry. His plastic models came in many sizes and colors. In October 1950, the Benedictine Cadet Corps adopted new uniforms. In September 1954, the Canadian ship Notting Hill was docked at Richmonds Deepwater Terminal on the James River. The queen returned to Virginia in 2007 for Jamestown's 400th anniversary. A view of East Broad Street in downtown Richmond on a cloudy day in October 1954. In August 1950, the 176th Infantry of the Virginia National Guard was training at Camp Pickett in preparation for possible duty in Korea. This July 1950 image shows a crumbling Richmond-Ashland Electric Line viaduct, covered in vines, near Moore Street in Richmond. Herring would arrive in rivers in the spring to spawn, and dipping was a popular activity that allowed men to socialize while stocking up on fish that could be salted and eaten through the year. This July 1950 image shows the area at the intersection of Axtell and Jesse streets in downtown Richmond. In March 1956, a full house at the Arena in Richmond watched the State Group 1 high school basketball tournament. The Luck family renovated the remaining buildings beginning in the early 1940s. On Aug. 28, 1950, Richmond's first black firefighting unit took charge of Engine Co. 9 at Fifth and Duval streets. Year Built 1977. In early October 1952, temperatures reached into the mid-80s, and people around the area found ways to enjoy the unseasonably warm weather. The barges were made at Richmond Steel Co. for businesses in New York. Timeline of Temple University Officer Chris Fitzergald's shooting. Gov. Additional charges are pending. In April 1952, Know-Your-Bank Week activities in Richmond included behind-the-scenes tours for bank customers and school students. Police say a 2007 Honda Civic was driving west on Midlothian Turnpike at a high rate of speed, and hit a 2016 Ford F-150 traveling in the same direction. The pond was a popular ice-skating spot whenever it froze. Recommended Stories. This March 1954 image shows Newt, the fire dog at the Henrico County Fire Departments Station No. Capt. A 1950 image of Adams Street at West Leigh Street. In June 1950, gleeful children left Ginter Park School in Richmond as they were dismissed for the summer months though they did need to return a few days later for their report cards. It opened as the Lubin in 1909, became the Regent briefly in 1916 before changing name to the Isis in the same year. Bellona was built in 1816 by the U.S. government as an Army post, and the nearby foundry supplied the military in the antebellum era. The 300 block South Lombardy Street after tornado. Four such vehicles were put to work to clear city streets. The John Marshal High School freshman began learning short wave code the year before. From RPD: At 6:31 p.m., Richmond Police responded to the 4000 block of Midlothian Turnpike for a shooting. A man was fatally shot in the 4000 . In March 1951, reigning horse of the year Hill Prince came home to The Meadow, near Doswell in Caroline County, after suffering a leg fracture during training in California. Shields Lake was a whites-only public swimming facility that was closed in 1955.